Severed Horse Head Cake for Godfather Style 30th Birthday Party

I was so sure I had pics of this process but I can't find them :( so I'll try to describe the process.




About a week before baking, I made one batch of marshmallow fondant (recipe here) and colored most of it black. It's a good idea to make it ahead of time and give it a few days to set. It takes a lot of color to get a nice, deep black (tip, if you've had your colors for months buy new) but the fondant will darken as it sits.

I baked 2 -1/4 sheet cakes, chocolate with suzy-q fillling, which I stacked. Prior to baking I had searched for something to use a template, there are hundreds! I found one I thought I could use but couldn't get it to print on two sheets of paper so I had to wing it. Luckily, I drew horses constantly as a kid.

I filled, stacked and crumb coated the 2-1/4 sheet cakes and put them in the fridge to let the frosting set, I wanted the pieces I would be carving off to stay together so I could use some as ears or to add to areas that might need it.





Comments