Saturday, October 11, 2014

Two more cakes this weekend that required multiple colors of fondant, one was camo for a duck dynasty 1/4 sheet cake and the other was Monster High. I wasn't real happy with the way the camo turned out or Si, he looks like he's falling off the log :) but I was pleased with the ducks, cat tails and the rifle.

This is a dark chocolate cake with buttercream icing and covered in Wilton's vanilla fondant. This fondant is great for covering cakes, very easy to work with but for figures, it takes a little to long to dry. A little meringue powder might help with that.

The Monster High cake:

I'm including pics of the process of how I applied the fondant, zebra stripes and spots. I mix black jell food coloring with a little vodka to paint the edges of the spots and outline for the skull.






I started the skull last weekend so it would have plenty of time to dry and attached it to a wood stick after it had dried all week. I'm hoping to post a pic of the cake with the skull on it. I didn't want to transport completed like that in case it moved around and loosened up on the drive to the party. Also hope to get a pic of matching cupcakes as I forgot to take any!

No comments:

Post a Comment