Marshmallow Fondant

I came across a tutorial for a quilted fondant cake board cover and wanted to try it right away, since April 15th was my sister's birthday it was the perfect reason to give it a go!


Check out Royal Bakery for the tutorial.

I made some marshmallow fondant a few days before I baked her cake. It was pretty easy to cover a 12 x 12 inch board, easier than I was expecting anyway.

Ingredients:

16 oz bag mini marshmallows or 8 cups loosely packed
3 Tbs water
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs light corn syrup
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 tsp butter flavor extract
2 lbs. confectioner sugar
2 TBS Dream Whip
about a 1/4 cup of butter
shortening

I greased my glass bowl with butter before adding a bag of mini marshmallows then added the water, vanilla and butter flavor, pouring it over the marshmallows. I put this in the microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between until the marshmallows were completely melted, about 2 1/2 minutes. Then stir in the corn syrup, it can be pretty hot so handle with care. While the marshmallows are melting in the microwave, butter your stand mixer bowl, bread dough hook and spatula and add the powdered sugar., dream whip and slat. Once the marshmallows are melted pour slowly into the bowl while mixer is running on low speed. Scrape the sides of bowl down a couple of times and you can turn the speed up a little. You won't get all the sugar mixed in but you can knead in by hnd what is left in the bottle of the bowl.

When that is incorporated I scrape it onto a very well greased countertop, dump some more powdered sugar on top, grease my hands and start kneading. I used all 2 lbs. of sugar this time, just keep kneading and greasing your hands and the countertop if needed.
If you have used regular fondant then you should be able to tell when it's ready. This is one of those things that takes practice. The first time I made marshmallow fondant I did not add enough sugar, I still used it but it was harder to work with and didn't dry as well as this batch did.

The cake is white velvet but I was not happy with the taste so will keep working on it and post the recipe if I ever get it where I like it.
Here is the finished cake, letters, numbers, flowers and butterflies are marshmallow fondant too!

Comments