Suzy-q Filling

I have been meaning to do this for weeks, actually months, but something always comes up, a cake, cupcakes or I just get sidetracked. I really am going to try and post more this year :) wish me luck!

Ingredients:

1 cup heavy cream or half and half
5 TBS all purpose flour
1 cup salted butter (room temp)
1 cup granulated sugar (bakers super fine sugar works best but any granulated will do)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

A stand mixer works best for this; add room temp butter and sugar to bowl of stand mixer and beat on medium for 5 minutes then add vanilla.





While your sugar and butter are mixing 

whisk heavy cream and flour in a sauce 
pan over low heat (I set my electric burner to 4) 
continue to whisk until it thickens, when you can 
see the lines left by the whisk remove from heat 
but continue to whisk.




After letting it set a few minutes, I place the pan in the frig pulling it out every few minutes to whisk again. Once it has cooled, bottom of sauce pan will no longer be warm, I add it to the butter sugar mixture and beat until light and fluffy.

If using half and half or whole milk you will probably need to switch your stand mixers paddle attachment to the whisk (put the whisk in the freezer for a few seconds before using).

This recipe should make enough to fill 2 dz or more cupcakes. I have filled a 3 layer cake and 24 cupcakes with this.

This filling doesn't refrigerate well as it tends to deflate and look a little watery when you try beating again. If I'm going to use leftover filling the next day or so I place it downstairs on top of my chest freezer. Store the filling in a Tupperware type covered container.

Dark chocoate fudge cake or cupcakes with suzy-q filling are my most requested sweet.



Comments